In honor of Earth Day, we’re thrilled to announce The Happy Beast has received gold certification as part of the 2017 Lafayette Green Business Program!
This is our third year in the program, and along with 93 other Lafayette Green Businesses, is one of the ways we work to exemplify the best of Lafayette, help shape a vibrant green economy, and champion a more sustainable future for our customers and residents. Overall, the sustainability upgrades Lafayette businesses have made are saving over $50,000 per year on utility bills and are equivalent to taking 100 cars off the road.
Click here for a full list of participating Lafayette businesses and remember to support them by shopping locally.
At The Happy Beast, we are extremely proud to achieve the highest award for waste diversion, water conservation, and energy efficiency, and we couldn’t have done it without our amazing customers! You can read more about our dedication to sustainability on our blog, but here’s a quick list of our current initiatives:
- Environmentally-Friendly Purchasing Policy: Toys, treats, and foods made from reputable manufacturers with high environmental standards as well as eliminating products containing palm oil, which contribute to deforestation
- Recycling: Cardboard, paper, and plastic single-stream recycling
- Composting: Food waste and scraps
- Zero Waste Boxes: Customers are invited to bring empty pet food packaging back to The Happy Beast for recycling through our partnership with TerraCycle
- Water Efficiency: Low-flow aerators on faucets and upgraded dog wash sprayers with efficient flow and auto-off functionality
- LED Lighting: Replaced old incandescent lights with new LED lights acquired through Xcel Energy and PACE rebate programs
- Reusable Shopping Bags: Provide $.10 bag credits and reusable shopping bags for purchase
- Smart Electronics Policy: Smart power strips and automatic sleep functionality for all computers
- Energy Efficient Appliances: EnergyStart certified washer and dryer and automatic thermostat programming
- Pet Food Donations: Reusing and donating pet food items for local animal shelters and rescues
In addition to these efforts, to further support the Lafayette Green Business Program, I’ll be leading two Green Business Marketing Workshops on May 1 at Confluence Small Business Collective. See below for more info or contact email@example.com to learn more.
Lastly, thanks to all of the organizations who collaborate to help make this program happen: the City of Lafayette, the Lafayette Energy Sustainable Advisory Committee (LESAC), the Lafayette Waste Reduction Advisory Committee (WRAC), Xcel Energy, and Boulder County’s Partners for a Clean Environment (PACE) have partnered to offer the recognition opportunity.
GREEN BUSINESS MARKETING WORKSHOPS
- Agenda: Digital marketing professional Matt LeBeau will present best practices for marketing your sustainability efforts online; attendees are invited to bring laptops and all your questions.
- When: Tuesday, May 1 from 9:00-11:00am, or 6:00-8:00pm
- Where: Confluence Small Business Collective – 75 Waneka Parkway, Lafayette, CO 80026
- RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/green-business-marketing-workshop-tickets-44854281363