The most widely used cat litter brands are made of bentonite clay, but many cats and owners (including yours truly) prefer a litter made from pine, corn or wheat. Be sure to research your particular brand, but the points outlined below are true of most products. Experiment with different styles of litter until you find one that both you and your cat prefer.
Pine (Nat’s preferred litter!)
We like “Feline Fresh”
- Non-tracking and non-dusting
- Made of reclaimed pine wood from sustainable forestry products, in a zero-waste production facility
- 100% renewable and biodegradable
- No Chemicals or Additives
We like “Integrity Corn & Pine Blend” and “World’s Best Cat Litter”
- Lower tracking than clay litter, with a texture that most cats prefer
- High absorbency and odor control
- Superior clumping for easy cleanup
- Free of chemical fragrances
We like “Swheat Scoop”
- Low tracking
- Odor control from natural wheat enzymes
- Chemical and Clay free
We like “Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat” and “Integrity”
- Most common due to it’s superior clumping ability and odor control
- Suitable for sifting/mechanical litter boxes
- Texture preferred by most cats
Cons of clay litters:
- More dust and tracking than other types of litters.
- Cats with respiratory issues, such as asthma may benefit from a non-dusting litter.